Here is a very scary article about what drowning looks like. It’s rather interesting in the sense that I would have written a drowning scene completely wrong.
Look for these other signs of drowning when persons are n the water:
- Head low in the water, mouth at water level
- Head tilted back with mouth open
- Eyes glassy and empty, unable to focus
- Eyes closed
- Hair over forehead or eyes
- Not using legs – Vertical
- Hyperventilating or gasping
- Trying to swim in a particular direction but not making headway
- Trying to roll over on the back
- Ladder climb, rarely out of the water.