I think I need to get my priorities straight.
This week at school has been on the slow side, mostly since my teacher hasn’t posted what we are suppose to read, so I can’t read it. (*sigh*)
Anyway, because of that I’ve been able to do a lot of writing this week. Or more correctly, editing.
See, I’ve been ever so slowly editing my mermaid story over the last month. I finally finished it last week, but I’ve had a hard time getting the changes in. it’s just that I have so much to do.
- I need to study for two nursing classes.
- I need to keep up with chemistry class.
- I need to work with a tutee I have, and make sure that I prep properly.
- I have a job in the writing center.
- I have to get my ranking up at critters.
- I need to write blog posts
- I need to maintain on my house chores.
- And I have the added responsibility of a paralyzed dog.
- Then this past week, I needed to figure out my class schedule for next semester.
None of those things include anything about writing.
Now, in all fairness, during my one job at the writing center I am most often not busy. I can work on number 2, 5, 6 and 9, not to mention writing, all while there. But I only do it for about four hours a week and I don’t always get around to doing those things because either a) I actually have to work or b) I talk with one of the other people there.
Yesterday I got on the computer and I began thinking that I should write today’s blogpost, then I realized that I should probably finish editing my story, so I did that instead. I can’t keep postponing it is all, and I have to remember that.
Now, about other things. I’m thinking I’m going to take a minor. This is maybe crazy, I know, but I’m trying to delay my graduation in hopes that my school will get accredited. (That whole problem is another issue.) And I know I’m going to nursing school and all, but I really am thinking I want a jouralism minor.
Reasons for this are rather simple.
- Writing makes me excited. I almost took an Advanced Expository writing class this next semester, and I got all excited at the possibility. Sure, it’s a 30 page research paper, but who cares? I can do it.
- My weakest point when it comes to novel writing is research. The point of jouranlism is research, so far as I understand.
- It gives me a chance to develop my writing skills. Up until now, I have had no official instruction in writing. This will hopefully help to make me a better writing.
- The creative writing program at my school doesn’t look too good. If I am going to take a creative writing program, I wants to know how everything works. So I think that it should include a little bit of what makes a good story and all, and a lot of how does the legal systems work, in different countries, and how do people generally respond and how would society respond to a problem.
So, to me, it makes sense. The idea of going for an extra semester is no big deal; I love school. I love everything about school, but especially the classrooms. And the way I put it, nursing is to pay the bills. Writing is for life.
So I one hand I’m saying I’m too busy to write, and on the other, I’m saying that I’m going to take writing classes. Yes, I know, contradictions, but I think it is a really good idea.
Anyway, look for the mermaid story soon. I haven’t figured out a title for it yet. Maybe that’ll be my rant next Friday. For now, it’s called Ethical Dilemmas, but other possiblites I have include My Father’s Shame, To My Father’s Shame, For life?, A Life Worth Living, Ambushed, The Value of Life, Just a Child.