12 goals I have for writing in 2012
My brother pointed out that no one posts lists about the top best 11 things of 2011, which gave me the idea. Why not the top 12 things I want to write for in 2012? Okay, I don’t know if I can do that, but we’ll try.
And while I’m at it, let’s cover my writing highlights for 2011.
Top 11 things that happened to me in 2011 so far as writing goes.
1) I wrote my first synopsis. Boo-yah! And set up everything to send out a novel to a publisher.
2) I came in 3rd on the writing contest with Just Trust Me
3) I started a new novel, mermaids. Completed the pre-draft.
4) I took a creative writing class. (And got an A in it. :) )
5) Realized I know HOW to write a good story. That now I just have to WRITE the good story. (Basically, stop reading books about writing and write already.)
6) Started writing a series story for the newspaper.
7) Wrote for the school newspaper actual news articles.
8) Started a writing group. Which I had to leave because I transfered schools, but hey, it happened. Finally.
9) Kept this blog going (more or less) for two years. That’s a BIG accomplishment for me.
10) Okay. I’m getting desperate again. I almost made 10 posts in Critters in a week. (That gets me MCP, which means I jump to the front of the line.) I missed it by one.
11) Wrote poems. (I should post those, shouldn’t I?)
Okay, so here’s what I plan to accomplish in 2012. I wouldn’t go so far as saying that these are resolutions, although a few of them are. I don’t really like the idea of a new year resolution because it makes it sound like you can only turn over a new leaf on January 1.
So these are just goals I hope to do in 2012.
1.) Send out Shad. This is an easy one. And, okay. I know that was my goal for this year. And I have everything ready to go. But I need to print it at school so that won’t happen until next year.
2.) Finish mermaids/my second novel. Right now, I have the pre-draft done. (Is that confusing? It’s like a really, really, really bad first draft / rough outline. Maybe soon I should post again how i write.)
3.) Write more short stories. I like the short story format. Also, they can be sent out easier and take less time. However, I might be held back here because all of the short stories I read ended sadly. I don’t like sad stories.
4.) Get a rejection letter. Okay. I’d be nicer if I get accepted, but let’s be real. First time writer. Probably not.
5.) Does becoming editor of the school newspaper count for writing? I have that goal.
6.) Edit some of the short stories I wrote. Specifically Shay’s Tadpole and Ka’za. (I know. You don’t know what those are. But I do and that’s what I care about right now. I wrote them both last year. This way, a year from now, I can see how well I did?) Oh, and maybe see about fixing How Johnny Cash Saved my Life so I can actually do something with that.
7) Nanowrimo. Never done it. ‘nough said.
8) Submit a short story. I wanted to do that in 2011 but I keep thinking the new year starts tonight, not last night.
9) Write more consistently for here. :) (Okay. I’m getting desperate for goals. But I do want too.)
10) Write something once a week at least for novels. Okay. I totally just made up that goal. But it’s a good goal. Otherwise, I go for weeks at a time not writing anything.
11) Read more often. I don’t read as much as I should and writing is tied with writing. So I want to read.
12) Use Critters more effectively / more often. I really could have used that this semester when I was working on my story. (Maybe they would have told me that lyrics will be copyrighted early on.)
This final one is something I want to do, but it also relies on someone else, which is why it doesn’t get a number. I want to write out one of my roleplays with a friend. It’d be really awesome.